English to English
1. a speech that is open to the public
he attended a lecture on telecommunications
2. a lengthy rebuke
a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline|the teacher gave him a talking to
3. teaching by giving a discourse on some subject (typically to a class)
4. The act of reading; as, the lecture of Holy Scripture.
5. deliver a lecture or talk
She will talk at Rutgers next week|Did you ever lecture at Harvard?
6. censure severely or angrily
The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car|The deputy ragged the Prime Minister|The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup
7. To read or deliver a lecture to.
8. To deliver a lecture or lectures.