English to English
1. a legal document giving official permission to do something
2. freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices (especially in behavior or speech)
3. excessive freedom; lack of due restraint
when liberty becomes license dictatorship is near|the intolerable license with which the newspapers break...the rules of decorum
4. the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
5. Authority or liberty given to do or forbear any act; especially, a formal permission from the proper authorities to perform certain acts or to carry on a certain business, which without such permission would be illegal; a grant of permission; as, a license to preach, to practice medicine, to sell gunpowder or intoxicating liquors.
6. authorize officially
I am licensed to practice law in this state
7. To permit or authorize by license; to give license to; as, to license a man to preach.