English to English
1. A water newt.
2. inquire about
I asked about their special today|He had to ask directions several times
3. make a request or demand for something to somebody
She asked him for a loan
4. direct or put; seek an answer to
ask a question
5. consider obligatory; request and expect
We require our secretary to be on time|Aren't we asking too much of these children?|I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons
6. address a question to and expect an answer from
Ask your teacher about trigonometry|The children asked me about their dead grandmother
7. require as useful, just, or proper
It takes nerve to do what she did|success usually requires hard work|This job asks a lot of patience and skill|This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice|This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert|This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent
8. require or ask for as a price or condition
He is asking $200 for the table|The kidnappers are asking a million dollars in return for the release of their hostage
9. To request; to seek to obtain by words; to petition; to solicit; -- often with of, in the sense of from, before the person addressed.
10. To request or petition; -- usually followed by for; as, to ask for bread.