English to English
1. a vaguely specified concern
several matters to attend to|it is none of your affair|things are going well
2. some situation or event that is thought about
he kept drifting off the topic|he had been thinking about the subject for several years|it is a matter for the police
3. that which has mass and occupies space
physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it
4. a problem
is anything the matter?
5. (used with negation) having consequence
they were friends and it was no matter who won the games
6. written works (especially in books or magazines)
he always took some reading matter with him on the plane
7. That of which anything is composed; constituent substance; material; the material or substantial part of anything; the constituent elements of conception; that into which a notion may be analyzed; the essence; the pith; the embodiment.
8. have weight; have import, carry weight
It does not matter much
9. To be of importance; to import; to signify.
10. To regard as important; to take account of; to care for.