English to English
1. a remark that calls attention to something or someone
she made frequent mention of her promotion|there was no mention of it|the speaker made several references to his wife
2. a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage
the student's essay failed to list several important citations|the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book|the article includes mention of similar clinical cases
3. an official recognition of merit
although he didn't win the prize he did get special mention
4. A speaking or notice of anything, -- usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of.
5. make reference to
His name was mentioned in connection with the invention
6. make mention of
She observed that his presentation took up too much time|They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing
he was cited for his outstanding achievements
8. To make mention of; to speak briefly of; to name.