English to English
1. Of necessity. See Needs.
2. a condition requiring relief
she satisfied his need for affection|God has no need of men to accomplish His work|there is a demand for jobs
3. anything that is necessary but lacking
he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs|I tried to supply his wants
4. the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior
we did not understand his motivation|he acted with the best of motives
5. a state of extreme poverty or destitution
their indigence appalled him|a general state of need exists among the homeless
6. A state that requires supply or relief; pressing occasion for something; necessity; urgent want.
7. require as useful, just, or proper
It takes nerve to do what she did|success usually requires hard work|This job asks a lot of patience and skill|This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice|This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert|This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent
8. have need of
This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner
9. have or feel a need for
always needing friends and money
10. To be in want of; to have cause or occasion for; to lack; to require, as supply or relief.
11. To be wanted; to be necessary.