English to English
1. a construct whereby objects or individuals can be distinguished
self-confidence is not an endearing property
2. an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity
3. That which is attributed; a quality which is considered as belonging to, or inherent in, a person or thing; an essential or necessary property or characteristic.
4. attribute or credit to
We attributed this quotation to Shakespeare|People impute great cleverness to cats
5. decide as to where something belongs in a scheme
The biologist assigned the mushroom to the proper class
6. To ascribe; to consider (something) as due or appropriate (to); to refer, as an effect to a cause; to impute; to assign; to consider as belonging (to).