English to English
1. an event that occurs at a critical time
at such junctures he always had an impulse to leave|it was needed only on special occasions
2. a vaguely specified social event
the party was quite an affair|an occasion arranged to honor the president|a seemingly endless round of social functions
there was no occasion for complaint
4. the time of a particular event
on the occasion of his 60th birthday
5. an opportunity to do something
there was never an occasion for her to demonstrate her skill
6. A falling out, happening, or coming to pass; hence, that which falls out or happens; occurrence; incident.
7. give occasion to
8. To give occasion to; to cause; to produce; to induce; as, to occasion anxiety.