English to English
1. a representation of common ground between theories or phenomena
there was no overlap between their proposals
2. the property of partial coincidence in time
3. a flap that lies over another part
the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches
4. The lapping of one thing over another; as, an overlap of six inches; an overlap of a slate on a roof.
5. coincide partially or wholly
Our vacations overlap
6. extend over and cover a part of
The roofs of the houses overlap in this crowded city
7. To lap over; to lap.