English to English
1. a symptom of some physical hurt or disorder
the patient developed severe pain and distension
2. emotional distress; a fundamental feeling that people try to avoid
the pain of loneliness
3. a somatic sensation of acute discomfort
as the intensity increased the sensation changed from tickle to pain
4. a bothersome annoying person
that kid is a terrible pain
5. something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness
washing dishes was a nuisance before we got a dish washer|a bit of a bother|he's not a friend, he's an infliction
6. Punishment suffered or denounced; suffering or evil inflicted as a punishment for crime, or connected with the commission of a crime; penalty.
7. cause bodily suffering to and make sick or indisposed
8. cause emotional anguish or make miserable
It pains me to see my children not being taught well in school
9. To inflict suffering upon as a penalty; to punish.