English to English
1. not in a state of sleep; completely conscious
lay awake thinking about his new job|still not fully awake
2. Not sleeping or lethargic; roused from sleep; in a state of vigilance or action.
3. mentally perceptive and responsive
an alert mind|alert to the problems|alive to what is going on|awake to the dangers of her situation|was now awake to the reality of his predicament
4. stop sleeping
She woke up to the sound of the alarm clock
5. To rouse from sleep; to wake; to awaken.
6. To cease to sleep; to come out of a state of natural sleep; and, figuratively, out of a state resembling sleep, as inaction or death.