English to English
1. offensive or even (of persons) malicious
in a nasty mood|a nasty accident|a nasty shock|a nasty smell|a nasty trick to pull|Will he say nasty things at my funeral?
2. Oppressing with fear or horror; appalling; terrible; as, an awful scene.
3. exceptionally bad or displeasing
atrocious taste|abominable workmanship|an awful voice|dreadful manners|a painful performance|terrible handwriting|an unspeakable odor came sweeping into the room
4. causing fear or dread or terror
the awful war|an awful risk|dire news|a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked|the dread presence of the headmaster|polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was|a dreadful storm|a fearful howling|horrendous explosions shook the city|a terrible curse
5. inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence
awed by the silence|awful worshippers with bowed heads
6. extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact
in a frightful hurry|spent a frightful amount of money
7. inspiring awe or admiration or wonder
New York is an amazing city|the Grand Canyon is an awe-inspiring sight|the awesome complexity of the universe|this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath|Westminster Hall's awing majesty, so vast, so high, so silent
8. used as intensifiers
terribly interesting|I'm awful sorry