English to English
1. Introductory; previous; preceding the main discourse or business; prefatory; as, preliminary observations to a discourse or book; preliminary articles to a treaty; preliminary measures; preliminary examinations.
2. denoting an action or event preceding or in preparation for something more important; designed to orient or acquaint with a situation before proceeding
a preliminary investigation
3. a minor match preceding the main event
4. something that serves as a preceding event or introduces what follows
training is a necessary preliminary to employment|drinks were the overture to dinner
5. That which precedes the main discourse, work, design, or business; something introductory or preparatory; as, the preliminaries to a negotiation or duel; to take one's preliminaries the year before entering college.