English to English
1. engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood
the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications|began her professional career after the Olympics|professional theater|professional football|a professional cook|professional actors and athletes
2. of or relating to or suitable as a profession
professional organizations|a professional field such as law
3. characteristic of or befitting a profession or one engaged in a profession
professional conduct|professional ethics|a thoroughly professional performance
4. of or relating to a profession
we need professional advice|professional training|professional equipment for his new office
5. Of or pertaining to a profession, or calling; conforming to the rules or standards of a profession; following a profession; as, professional knowledge; professional conduct.
6. engaged in by members of a profession
professional occupations include medicine and the law and teaching
7. a person engaged in one of the learned professions
8. an athlete who plays for pay
9. an authority qualified to teach apprentices
10. A person who prosecutes anything professionally, or for a livelihood, and not in the character of an amateur; a professional worker.