English to English
1. In general, a declaration, written or verbal, made by one person to another, which binds the person who makes it to do, or to forbear to do, a specified act; a declaration which gives to the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act.
2. a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
3. grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
there is little or no promise that he will recover
4. make a promise or commitment
5. promise to undertake or give
I promise you my best effort
6. make a prediction about; tell in advance
Call the outcome of an election
7. give grounds for expectations
The new results were promising|The results promised fame and glory
8. To engage to do, give, make, or to refrain from doing, giving, or making, or the like; to covenant; to engage; as, to promise a visit; to promise a cessation of hostilities; to promise the payment of money.
9. To give assurance by a promise, or binding declaration.