English to English
1. contribute to the progress or growth of
I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom
2. give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired|Women tend not to advance in the major law firms|I got promoted after many years of hard work
3. make publicity for; try to sell (a product)
The salesman is aggressively pushing the new computer model|The company is heavily advertizing their new laptops
4. be changed for a superior chess or checker piece
5. change a pawn for a better piece by advancing it to the eighth row, or change a checker piece for a more valuable piece by moving it to the row closest to your opponent
6. To contribute to the growth, enlargement, or prosperity of (any process or thing that is in course); to forward; to further; to encourage; to advance; to excite; as, to promote learning; to promote disorder; to promote a business venture.
7. To urge on or incite another, as to strife; also, to inform against a person.