English to English
1. the acquisition of something for payment
they closed the purchase with a handshake
2. something acquired by purchase
3. a means of exerting influence or gaining advantage
he could get no purchase on the situation
4. the mechanical advantage gained by being in a position to use a lever
5. The act of seeking, getting, or obtaining anything.
6. obtain by purchase; acquire by means of a financial transaction
The family purchased a new car|The conglomerate acquired a new company|She buys for the big department store
7. To pursue and obtain; to acquire by seeking; to gain, obtain, or acquire.
8. To put forth effort to obtain anything; to strive; to exert one's self.