English to English
1. sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment
he drank to drown his sorrows|he wrote a note expressing his regret|to his rue, the error cost him the game
2. Pain of mind on account of something done or experienced in the past, with a wish that it had been different; a looking back with dissatisfaction or with longing; grief; sorrow; especially, a mourning on account of the loss of some joy, advantage, or satisfaction.
3. feel remorse for; feel sorry for; be contrite about
4. feel sad about the loss or absence of
5. decline formally or politely
I regret I can't come to the party
6. express with regret
I regret to say that you did not gain admission to Harvard
7. To experience regret on account of; to lose or miss with a sense of regret; to feel sorrow or dissatisfaction on account of (the happening or the loss of something); as, to regret an error; to regret lost opportunities or friends.