English to English
1. degree of figurative distance or separation
just one remove from madness|it imitates at many removes a Shakespearean tragedy
2. The act of removing; a removal.
3. remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract
remove a threat|remove a wrapper|Remove the dirty dishes from the table|take the gun from your pocket|This machine withdraws heat from the environment
4. remove from a position or an office
5. dispose of
Get rid of these old shoes!|The company got rid of all the dead wood
6. cause to leave
The teacher took the children out of the classroom
7. shift the position or location of, as for business, legal, educational, or military purposes
He removed his children to the countryside|Remove the troops to the forest surrounding the city|remove a case to another court
8. go away or leave
He absented himself
9. kill intentionally and with premeditation
The mafia boss ordered his enemies murdered
10. get rid of something abstract
The death of her mother removed the last obstacle to their marriage|God takes away your sins
11. To move away from the position occupied; to cause to change place; to displace; as, to remove a building.
12. To change place in any manner, or to make a change in place; to move or go from one residence, position, or place to another.