English to English
1. leave (a job, post, or position) voluntarily
She vacated the position when she got pregnant|The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds
2. give up or retire from a position
The Secretary of the Navy will leave office next month|The chairman resigned over the financial scandal
3. part with a possession or right
I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest|resign a claim to the throne
4. accept as inevitable
He resigned himself to his fate
5. To affix one's signature to, a second time; to sign again.
6. To sign back; to return by a formal act; to yield to another; to surrender; -- said especially of office or emolument. Hence, to give up; to yield; to submit; -- said of the wishes or will, or of something valued; -- also often used reflexively.