English to English
1. action taken in return for an injury or offense
2. The act of revenging; vengeance; retaliation; a returning of evil for evil.
3. take revenge for a perceived wrong
He wants to avenge the murder of his brother
4. To inflict harm in return for, as an injury, insult, etc.; to exact satisfaction for, under a sense of injury; to avenge; -- followed either by the wrong received, or by the person or thing wronged, as the object, or by the reciprocal pronoun as direct object, and a preposition before the wrong done or the wrongdoer.
5. To take vengeance; -- with