English to English
1. a string of words satisfying the grammatical rules of a language
he always spoke in grammatical sentences
2. (criminal law) a final judgment of guilty in a criminal case and the punishment that is imposed
the conviction came as no surprise
3. the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned
he served a prison term of 15 months|his sentence was 5 to 10 years|he is doing time in the county jail
4. Sense; meaning; significance.
5. pronounce a sentence on (somebody) in a court of law
He was condemned to ten years in prison
6. To pass or pronounce judgment upon; to doom; to condemn to punishment; to prescribe the punishment of.