English to English
1. being or characteristic of a single thing or person
individual drops of rain|please mark the individual pages|they went their individual ways
2. used of flowers having usually only one row or whorl of petals
single chrysanthemums resemble daisies and may have more than one row of petals
3. existing alone or consisting of one entity or part or aspect or individual
upon the hill stood a single tower|had but a single thought which was to escape|a single survivor|a single serving|a single lens|a single thickness
4. not married or related to the unmarried state
unmarried men and women|unmarried life|sex and the single girl|single parenthood|are you married or single?
5. One only, as distinguished from more than one; consisting of one alone; individual; separate; as, a single star.
6. characteristic of or meant for a single person or thing
an individual serving|single occupancy|a single bed
7. having uniform application
a single legal code for all
8. not divided among or brought to bear on more than one object or objective
judging a contest with a single eye|a single devotion to duty|undivided affection|gained their exclusive attention
9. a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base
10. the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number
he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it|they had lunch at one
11. A unit; one; as, to score a single.
12. hit a single
the batter singled to left field
13. To select, as an individual person or thing, from among a number; to choose out from others; to separate.
14. To take the irrregular gait called single-foot;- said of a horse. See Single- foot.