English to English
1. the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
he put the stress on the wrong syllable
2. (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension|stress is a vasoconstrictor
3. special emphasis attached to something
the stress was more on accuracy than on speed
4. difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
she endured the stresses and strains of life|he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger
5. (physics) force that produces strain on a physical body
the intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area
7. to stress, single out as important
Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet
8. put stress on; utter with an accent
In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word
9. test the limits of
You are trying my patience!
10. To press; to urge; to distress; to put to difficulties.
11. To subject to phonetic stress; to accent.