English to English
1. lower in rank or importance
2. subject or submissive to authority or the control of another
a subordinate kingdom
3. (of a clause) unable to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence
a subordinate (or dependent) clause functions as a noun or adjective or adverb within a sentence
4. Placed in a lower order, class, or rank; holding a lower or inferior position.
5. an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
6. a word that is more specific than a given word
7. One who stands in order or rank below another; -- distinguished from a principal.
8. rank or order as less important or consider of less value
Art is sometimes subordinated to Science in these schools
9. make subordinate, dependent, or subservient
Our wishes have to be subordinated to that of our ruler
10. To place in a lower order or class; to make or consider as of less value or importance; as, to subordinate one creature to another.