English to English
1. insignificantly small; a matter of form only (`tokenish' is informal)
the fee was nominal|a token gesture of resistance|a toknenish gesture
2. an individual instance of a type of symbol
the word`error' contains three tokens of `r'
3. something serving as a sign of something else
4. a metal or plastic disk that can be redeemed or used in designated slot machines
5. something of sentimental value
6. Something intended or supposed to represent or indicate another thing or an event; a sign; a symbol; as, the rainbow is a token of God's covenant established with Noah.
7. In a Jacquard loom, a colored signal to show the weaver which shuttle to use.
8. To betoken.