English to English
1. liable to or capable of change
rainfall in the tropics is notoriously variable|variable winds|variable expenses
2. Having the capacity of varying or changing; capable of alternation in any manner; changeable; as, variable winds or seasons; a variable quantity.
3. marked by diversity or difference
the varying angles of roof slope|nature is infinitely variable
4. (used of a device) designed so that a property (as e.g. light) can be varied
a variable capacitor|variable filters in front of the mercury xenon lights
5. something that is likely to vary; something that is subject to variation
the weather is one variable to be considered
6. a quantity that can assume any of a set of values
7. a star that varies noticeably in brightness
8. a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions to represent a variable quantity
9. That which is variable; that which varies, or is subject to change.