English to English
1. any venturesome undertaking especially one with an uncertain outcome
2. an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits
he knew the stock was a speculation when he bought it
3. a commercial undertaking that risks a loss but promises a profit
4. An undertaking of chance or danger; the risking of something upon an event which can not be foreseen with certainty; a hazard; a risk; a speculation.
5. proceed somewhere despite the risk of possible dangers
We ventured into the world of high-tech and bought a supercomputer
6. put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation
I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again|I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong
7. put at risk
I will stake my good reputation for this
8. To hazard one's self; to have the courage or presumption to do, undertake, or say something; to dare.
9. To expose to hazard; to risk; to hazard; as, to venture one's person in a balloon.