English to English
1. at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line
a vertical camera angle|the monument consists of two vertical pillars supporting a horizontal slab|measure the perpendicular height
2. relating to or involving all stages of a business from production to distribution
3. upright in position or posture
an erect stature|erect flower stalks|for a dog, an erect tail indicates aggression|a column still vertical amid the ruins|he sat bolt upright
4. Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith; perpendicularly above one.
5. of or relating to different levels in a hierarchy (as levels of social class or income group)
vertical social mobility
6. something that is oriented vertically
7. a vertical structural member as a post or stake
the ball sailed between the uprights
8. Vertical position; zenith.