English to English
1. a small mass of soft material
he used a wad of cotton to wipe the counter
2. (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
a batch of letters|a deal of trouble|a lot of money|he made a mint on the stock market|see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos|it must have cost plenty|a slew of journalists|a wad of money
3. a wad of something chewable as tobacco
5. A little mass, tuft, or bundle, as of hay or tow.
6. An earthy oxide of manganese, or mixture of different oxides and water, with some oxide of iron, and often silica, alumina, lime, or baryta; black ocher. There are several varieties.
7. compress into a wad
wad paper into the box
8. crowd or pack to capacity
the theater was jampacked
9. To form into a mass, or wad, or into wadding; as, to wad tow or cotton.