English to English
1. having or experiencing a rapid onset and short but severe course
acute appendicitis|the acute phase of the illness|acute patients
2. of an angle; less than 90 degrees
3. Sharp at the end; ending in a sharp point; pointed; -- opposed to blunt or obtuse; as, an acute angle; an acute leaf.
4. extremely sharp or intense
acute pain|felt acute annoyance|intense itching and burning
5. having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions
an acute observer of politics and politicians|incisive comments|icy knifelike reasoning|as sharp and incisive as the stroke of a fang|penetrating insight|frequent penetrative observations
6. ending in a sharp point
7. of critical importance and consequence
an acute (or critical) lack of research funds
8. a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
9. To give an acute sound to; as, he acutes his rising inflection too much.