English to English
1. (of weather) free from storm or wind
2. Not stormy; without motion, as of winds or waves; still; quiet; serene; undisturbed.
3. not agitated; without losing self-possession
spoke in a calm voice|remained calm throughout the uproar|he remained serene in the midst of turbulence|a serene expression on her face|she became more tranquil|tranquil life in the country
4. steadiness of mind under stress
he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity
5. wind moving at less than 1 knot; 0 on the Beaufort scale
6. Freedom from motion, agitation, or disturbance; a cessation or absence of that which causes motion or disturbance, as of winds or waves; tranquility; stillness; quiet; serenity.
7. make calm or still
quiet the dragons of worry and fear
8. make steady
9. become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation
After the fight both men need to cool off.|It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again.
10. cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to
The patient must be sedated before the operation
11. To make calm; to render still or quiet, as elements; as, to calm the winds.