English to English
1. a race between candidates for elective office
I managed his campaign for governor|he is raising money for a Senate run
2. a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end
he supported populist campaigns|they worked in the cause of world peace|the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant|the movement to end slavery|contributed to the war effort
3. several related operations aimed at achieving a particular goal (usually within geographical and temporal constraints)
4. an overland journey by hunters (especially in Africa)
5. An open field; a large, open plain without considerable hills. SeeChampaign.
6. run, stand, or compete for an office or a position
Who's running for treasurer this year?
7. exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
The liberal party pushed for reforms|She is crusading for women's rights|The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate
8. go on a campaign; go off to war
9. To serve in a campaign.