English to English
1. the overhead upper surface of a covered space
he hated painting the ceiling
2. (meteorology) altitude of the lowest layer of clouds
3. an upper limit on what is allowed
he put a ceiling on the number of women who worked for him|there was a roof on salaries|they established a cap for prices
4. maximum altitude at which a plane can fly (under specified conditions)
5. The inside lining of a room overhead; the under side of the floor above; the upper surface opposite to the floor.