English to English
1. the conscious subjective aspect of feeling or emotion
2. Affection; inclination; passion; feeling; disposition.
3. The emotional complex associated with an idea or mental state. In hysteria, the affect is sometimes entirely dissociated, sometimes transferred to another than the original idea.
4. have an effect upon
Will the new rules affect me?
5. act physically on; have an effect upon
the medicine affects my heart rate
6. connect closely and often incriminatingly
This new ruling affects your business
7. make believe with the intent to deceive
He feigned that he was ill|He shammed a headache
8. have an emotional or cognitive impact upon
This child impressed me as unusually mature|This behavior struck me as odd
9. To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.