English to English
1. a word or phrase used to complete a grammatical construction
2. a complete number or quantity
a full complement
3. number needed to make up a whole force
a full complement of workers
4. something added to complete or embellish or make perfect
a fine wine is a perfect complement to the dinner|wild rice was served as an accompaniment to the main dish
5. one of a series of enzymes in the blood serum that are part of the immune response
6. either of two parts that mutually complete each other
7. That which fills up or completes; the quantity or number required to fill a thing or make it complete.
8. make complete or perfect; supply what is wanting or form the complement to
I need some pepper to complement the sweet touch in the soup
9. To supply a lack; to supplement.