English to English
1. a remark (or act) expressing praise and admiration
2. An expression, by word or act, of approbation, regard, confidence, civility, or admiration; a flattering speech or attention; a ceremonious greeting; as, to send one's compliments to a friend.
3. say something to someone that expresses praise
He complimented her on her last physics paper
4. express respect or esteem for
5. To praise, flatter, or gratify, by expressions of approbation, respect, or congratulation; to make or pay a compliment to.
6. To pass compliments; to use conventional expressions of respect.