English to English
1. Obtained by derivation; derived; not radical, original, or fundamental; originating, deduced, or formed from something else; secondary; as, a derivative conveyance; a derivative word.
2. resulting from or employing derivation
a derivative process|a highly derivative prose style
3. the result of mathematical differentiation; the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another; df(x)/dx
4. a compound obtained from, or regarded as derived from, another compound
5. a financial instrument whose value is based on another security
6. (linguistics) a word that is derived from another word
`electricity' is a derivative of `electric'
7. That which is derived; anything obtained or deduced from another.