English to English
1. mark as different
We distinguish several kinds of maple
2. detect with the senses
The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards|I can't make out the faces in this photograph
3. be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense
His modesty distinguishes him from his peers
4. make conspicuous or noteworthy
5. identify as in botany or biology, for example
6. Not set apart from others by visible marks; to make distinctive or discernible by exhibiting differences; to mark off by some characteristic.
7. To make distinctions; to perceive the difference; to exercise discrimination; -- with between; as, a judge distinguishes between cases apparently similar, but differing in principle.