English to English
1. (of e.g. volcanos) not erupting and not extinct
a dormant volcano
2. Sleeping; as, a dormant animal; hence, not in action or exercise; quiescent; at rest; in abeyance; not disclosed, asserted, or insisted on; as, dormant passions; dormant claims or titles.
3. in a condition of biological rest or suspended animation
dormant buds|a hibernating bear|torpid frogs
4. lying with head on paws as if sleeping
5. inactive but capable of becoming active
her feelings of affection are dormant but easily awakened
6. A large beam in the roof of a house upon which portions of the other timbers rest or " sleep."