English to English
1. Quite by one's self; apart from, or exclusive of, others; single; solitary; -- applied to a person or thing.
2. isolated from others
could be alone in a crowded room|was alone with her thoughts|I want to be alone
3. lacking companions or companionship
he was alone when we met him|she is alone much of the time|the lone skier on the mountain|a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel|a lonely soul|a solitary traveler
4. exclusive of anyone or anything else
she alone believed him|cannot live by bread alone|I'll have this car and this car only
5. radically distinctive and without equal
he is alone in the field of microbiology|this theory is altogether alone in its penetration of the problem|Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint|craftsmen whose skill is unequaled|unparalleled athletic ability|a breakdown of law unparalleled in our history
6. without any others being included or involved
was entirely to blame|a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children|he works for Mr. Smith exclusively|did it solely for money|the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone|a privilege granted only to him
7. without anybody else or anything else
the child stayed home alone|the pillar stood alone, supporting nothing|he flew solo
8. Solely; simply; exclusively.