English to English
1. Equal in worth or value, force, power, effect, import, and the like; alike in significance and value; of the same import or meaning.
2. being essentially equal to something
it was as good as gold|a wish that was equivalent to a command|his statement was tantamount to an admission of guilt
3. a person or thing equal to another in value or measure or force or effect or significance etc
send two dollars or the equivalent in stamps
4. the atomic weight of an element that has the same combining capacity as a given weight of another element; the standard is 8 for oxygen
5. Something equivalent; that which is equal in value, worth, weight, or force; as, to offer an equivalent for damage done.
6. To make the equivalent to; to equal; equivalence.