English to English
1. an analytic or interpretive literary composition
2. a tentative attempt
3. An effort made, or exertion of body or mind, for the performance of anything; a trial; attempt; as, to make an essay to benefit a friend.
4. make an effort or attempt
He tried to shake off his fears|The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps|The police attempted to stop the thief|He sought to improve himself|She always seeks to do good in the world
5. put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
This approach has been tried with good results|Test this recipe
6. To exert one's power or faculties upon; to make an effort to perform; to attempt; to endeavor; to make experiment or trial of; to try.