English to English
1. basic and fundamental
the essential feature
2. being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc
3. defining rights and duties as opposed to giving the rules by which rights and duties are established
4. Belonging to the essence, or that which makes an object, or class of objects, what it is.
5. absolutely necessary; vitally necessary
essential tools and materials|funds essential to the completion of the project|an indispensable worker
6. of the greatest importance
the all-important subject of disarmament|crucial information|in chess cool nerves are of the essence
7. anything indispensable
food and shelter are necessities of life|the essentials of the good life|allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions|a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained
8. Existence; being.