English to English
1. your basis for belief or disbelief; knowledge on which to base belief
the evidence that smoking causes lung cancer is very compelling
2. an indication that makes something evident
his trembling was evidence of his fear
3. (law) all the means by which any alleged matter of fact whose truth is investigated at judicial trial is established or disproved
4. That which makes evident or manifest; that which furnishes, or tends to furnish, proof; any mode of proof; the ground of belief or judgement; as, the evidence of our senses; evidence of the truth or falsehood of a statement.
5. provide evidence for; stand as proof of; show by one's behavior, attitude, or external attributes
His high fever attested to his illness|The buildings in Rome manifest a high level of architectural sophistication|This decision demonstrates his sense of fairness
6. provide evidence for
The blood test showed that he was the father|Her behavior testified to her incompetence
7. give evidence
he was telling on all his former colleague
8. To render evident or clear; to prove; to evince; as, to evidence a fact, or the guilt of an offender.