English to English
1. well known or easily recognized
a familiar figure|familiar songs|familiar guests
2. within normal everyday experience; common and ordinary; not strange
familiar ordinary objects found in every home|a familiar everyday scene|a familiar excuse|a day like any other filled with familiar duties and experiences
3. Of or pertaining to a family; domestic.
4. (usually followed by `with') well informed about or knowing thoroughly
conversant with business trends|familiar with the complex machinery|he was familiar with those roads
5. having mutual interests or affections; of established friendship
on familiar terms|pretending she is on an intimate footing with those she slanders
6. a person attached to the household of a high official (as a pope or bishop) who renders service in return for support
7. a friend who is frequently in the company of another
drinking companions|comrades in arms
8. a spirit (usually in animal form) that acts as an assistant to a witch or wizard
9. An intimate; a companion.