English to English
1. being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces fertilizable gametes (ova) from which offspring develop
a female heir|female holly trees bear the berries
2. Belonging to the sex which conceives and gives birth to young, or (in a wider sense) which produces ova; not male.
3. characteristic of or peculiar to a woman
female sensitiveness|female suffrage
4. for or pertaining to or composed of women or girls
the female lead in the play|a female chorus
5. an animal that produces gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes (spermatozoa)
6. a person who belongs to the sex that can have babies
7. An individual of the sex which conceives and brings forth young, or (in a wider sense) which has an ovary and produces ova.