English to English
1. made from or covered with gold
gold coins|the gold dome of the Capitol|the golden calf|gilded icons
2. having the deep slightly brownish color of gold
long aureate (or golden) hair|a gold carpet
3. coins made of gold
4. a deep yellow color
an amber light illuminated the room|he admired the gold of her hair
5. a soft yellow malleable ductile (trivalent and univalent) metallic element; occurs mainly as nuggets in rocks and alluvial deposits; does not react with most chemicals but is attacked by chlorine and aqua regia
6. great wealth
Whilst that for which all virtue now is sold, and almost every vice--almighty gold
7. something likened to the metal in brightness or preciousness or superiority etc.
the child was as good as gold|she has a heart of gold
8. An old English name of some yellow flower, -- the marigold (Calendula), according to Dr. Prior, but in Chaucer perhaps the turnsole.
9. A metallic element, constituting the most precious metal used as a common commercial medium of exchange. It has a characteristic yellow color, is one of the heaviest substances known (specific gravity 19.32), is soft, and very malleable and ductile. It is quite unalterable by heat, moisture, and most corrosive agents, and therefore well suited for its use in coin and jewelry. Symbol Au (Aurum). Atomic weight 196.7.