English to English
1. Large in space; of much size; big; immense; enormous; expanded; -- opposed to small and little; as, a great house, ship, farm, plain, distance, length.
2. relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind
a great juicy steak|a great multitude|the great auk|a great old oak|a great ocean liner|a great delay
3. of major significance or importance
a great work of art|Einstein was one of the outstanding figures of the 20th centurey
4. remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect
a great crisis|had a great stake in the outcome
5. very good
he did a bully job|a neat sports car|had a great time at the party|you look simply smashing
capital A|great A|many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script
7. in an advanced stage of pregnancy
was big with child|was great with child
8. a person who has achieved distinction and honor in some field
he is one of the greats of American music
9. The whole; the gross; as, a contract to build a ship by the great.