English to English
1. any place of pain and turmoil
the hell of battle|the inferno of the engine room|when you're alone Christmas is the pits
2. a cause of difficulty and suffering
war is hell|go to blazes
3. (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment
Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell|a demon from the depths of the pit|Hell is paved with good intentions
4. (religion) the world of the dead
No one goes to Hades with all his immense wealth
5. violent and excited activity
they began to fight like sin
6. noisy and unrestrained mischief
7. The place of the dead, or of souls after death; the grave; -- called in Hebrew sheol, and by the Greeks hades.
8. To overwhelm.